posted Oct 24, 2012, 12:09 PM by Dicia Kemp
Learn to be a Legislative Advocate! This no cost Legislative Advocacy Training Academy is an important opportunity for you to learn how to do this. The Academy will be facilitated by Andi Leopoldus of AKL, Inc. Andi has 25 years of experience working with nonprofit organizations in direct lobbying and training indivduals to feel confident when they testify on legislation of interest. There will be monthly 60-90 minute sessions. Each session or module will have a learning objective. Participants will receive a certificate of participation for each module. Participants MUST register by November 15, 2012. By registering you are committing to ALL sessions. Once registered participants will receive materials and more information including Academy location. Fax your registration form to 720-213-1423 or email Dicia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- November 27, 6 pm-7:30 pm: Now that elections are over: Who are our legislators? How do you contact them? What happens next? Who are our new leaders in our State House and Senate? Budget briefings and hearings.
- December 10, 6 pm-7:30 pm: The State Budget: What hearings happen before the legislative session starts? Why should I care?
- January, Date TBD: Testifying practicum to be held at the Capitol: This is a field trip to the Capitol where attendees will tour, meet with legislators and participate in a mock committee hearing.
- February, Date TBD: What are the issues of interest? How do you identify those interests in bills? How to testify?
- March, Date TBD: The State Budget: figure setting at the Joint Budget Committee. So, what does this mean to me or my family member with disabilities?
- April, Date TBD: Eyes on the prize: What bills have survived? What bills are still being intorduced? What bills have died?
- May, Date TBD: Wrap up the session: What happens now?
- June, Date TBD: Rules, interim committees, how to meet with legislators
- July, Date TBD: Preparing for next session and meeting with legislatures
- August, Date TBD: Interim committeee recommendations
- September, Date TBD: Who writes legislation? How do you get a sponsor for a bill?
- October, Date TBD: Time to get ready for the 2014 Legislative session!