Events‎ > ‎Noteworthy!‎ > ‎

UPDATE: PASA application help, protesting change, extension concerns, plus

posted Jul 20, 2012, 11:00 AM by Dicia Kemp

Need help becoming a PASA?

Several Independent Contractors who have applied to become a PASA are reaching out to help others who are, too, hoping to or have begun to take that step.

Vrnda Noel

Vrnda is an Independent Contractor. She is working with several other ICs who are, although, seeking to start individual PASAs are sharing resources and professional services. For more information please email

Dragonfly Connection, LLC

Dragonfly Connection, LLC was created by an Independent Contractor and another Human Services professional. They are applying for their own PASA and Home Health License, but are also willing to offer classes and support on PASA 101, Forms, etc. For more information please email or call 303-741-4791 and leave a voicemail.

PASA Insurance, what do I need and who provides it?

Centerpoint Insurance and The Care Association has been providing insurance and consulting services for agencies serving the DD population in Colorado for over 20 years. They work with Community Centered Boards, Service Provider Organizations, Host Homes, Microboard's and PASA's. We are very familiar with the Department of Human Services insurance Division for Developmental Disabilities requirements. They provide help and consultation for those wanting to become PASA's or bonafide independent contractors. They want to make sure that everyone understands what insurance they need to be in compliance and why they need that insurance.

For more information contact Michael R. Simms, Colorado CARE Association at or 303-333-037.5

Where can I protest this change?

Although there is no formal process to protest this change, some individuals have been writing letters of concern to some or all of the following.

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

Colorado Legislators

Division for Developmental Disabilities

Department of Human Services --

Developmental Pathways Adminsitrative staff:

Health Care Policy and Financing --

Governor Citizen Advocate

PADCO has published a list of Developmental Pathways board of directors and addresses --

Extension Concerns

The Arc of Aurora has heard that some families believe that although they have requested and received extensions; they, now, believe that they are being pressured to change their minds. We strongly advise those families to immediately contact Developmental Pathways administrative staff and advise them of your concern. Additionally as previously suggested, individuals with I/DD and their families can always contact their local Arc or The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older Persons for more specific advocacy support.

REMINDER Developmental Pathways, Inc.'s September 1st deadline is approaching fast. Please make sure you are prepared for services on September 2nd! This may mean taking steps to implement a short term plan for services until your bigger issues are resolved. We recognize this is not ideal, but it may be necessary.

CES and SLS Medicaid Waivers

Both waivers provide for specific appeal rights including in circumstances regarding change of provider, and reduction and/or loss of services. We are working on creating a simplified explanation on how to file an appeal. Although, nothing in Medicaid is every really simple! While we work to get this published, please contact your local Arc or The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older Persons if you need immediate assistance.

The Arc of Aurora -- 720-213-1420

The Arc of Arapahoe and Douglas -- 303-220-9228

The Legal Center -- 303=722-0300

Tell us what else we can do to help

Please take our short survey. Your feedback will help us prioritize our priorities on this issue.